Groups

Groups

Join groups to network with other STEM teacher leaders, discuss topics of interest, create webinars, and share resources.

Welcome to the elementary science & math teacher leaders group! Ask questions, start a topic, or share information related to elementary science and mathematics teaching and learning, or leadership.

Picture

Welcome to the elementary science & math teacher leaders discussion group!

Welcome to the elementary science & math teacher leaders discussion group! Let us know what topics you'd like to discuss.

Comments

Picture
Full Name

Hi- My name is Jenn Donais and so excited for this group! I was wondering how people are using robotics in their math classroom around content? Also why type of robots are people using? Thanks :)

Mon, 03/11/2019 - 1:30 PM Permalink

Jenn - unfortunately our school has not ventured into the world of robotics yet. We are just starting out this year with a Science Olympiad team (our first competition is Saturday)! I hope we can eventually move onto other STEM activities/ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you receive.

I am very excited about this group too!

Tue, 03/12/2019 - 11:08 PM Permalink

Hello! What grades are you wanting to work with and what type of budget are you playing with. I have helped our kindergaten and first grade teams get going with coding with something called Code Mouse (about $40)  and Ozobots (about $80). Upper grades are using Spheros and other products from the same company (around the $90). We are about to venture in coding with drones and we are going to be using a small drone from Parrot education (about $50). We made a big investment in Lego EV3 robots and have been using them in class for measurement, degrees, estimation, decimals, etc. But these kids are over $300 each.

If you can give some more specifics we might be able to into more depth to help. Please feel free to contact me if you need some help getting up and running! jmorris@gcbe.org

Thu, 03/14/2019 - 1:48 PM Permalink

I used LEGO First Robotics in my classroom for it's science and math components. I guess, also for technical writing skills. The LEGO robotic software is easy for elementary students to use. The software provides for use of geometry and fractions or percents. If you want to look at a simple coding program for kids MIT put out a free program for teaching coding to elementary kids. It is called Scratch. They also created another program for lower elementary. I used Scratch in my classroom for years. It's a great program. Write a grant and get those robots going. I used them in an after school program and my students won several competitions. I also, got involved by hosting the competition at our school. Tons of fun for family and competitors. :)

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 1:53 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

My students use Robotics in order to identify polygons on the coordinate plane.  They also use SCRATCH in order to write algebraic equations for various problem solving activities.  I find that both of these activities help my kiddos with solving algebraic problems.  Both activities involve logical reasoning.

Sat, 03/16/2019 - 11:37 AM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have an elementary level drone curriculum that they use or know of for students? I'm considering beginning a flight school for our 5th graders next year.

Mon, 03/18/2019 - 6:25 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

About to make the big purchase for 3 Tower Gardens for our 2nd graders to use in their study of plants.   Any advice or resources?

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 12:08 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

I’ve been doing some great activities using  Tinkering Labs Catalyst classroom kit with second graders.   Students  work  with hands-on materials to solve challenges, like making a machine that will beat an egg.  Students love this and have learned so much about electricity through authentic activities, as well as gaining skills in collaborative work and problem solving

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 4:59 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

In reply to by Susan Kunze

I used the Snap Circuits with the elementary level to create circuits. The students love making things light up and move.  There is also a Green Energy Kit that is fun and educational.

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 9:31 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

Our district is planning its first summer STEM camp for grades 3-5 and 6-8.  What great themes or learning tracts have you used with success?  How long did kids spend in each activity class each day?   Did you hav e a closing family picnic and sharing of projects from the week?

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 10:54 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

In reply to by Marcy Burns

Marcy-

You will love doing a STEM camp.  I am site lead for one of the Air Force base's LEGACY STEM programs.  I lead 5 one-week long camps for students 11 to 15 years old. Great themes... energy, inventions, Nature Thought of it First (Biomimicry),  Innovations over TIme , and movement.

TIme per activity:  depends on the activity of course.  With material intensive investigations, I try to plan a longer chunk of time. (Like building a hover craft) WIth easy clean up, I will have students revisit the same concept for one hour each day for 5 days.  (like sphero programming)

Picnic or some kind of End:  Love it!! iA closing parent presentation is fabulous!  I start with a slide show of photos as parents are arriving then a brief welcome and some awards.  Then the student's shine with their part.... they share a big project, demo, and describe their learning experience from a project,  demo, fieldtrip, tour or guest speaker. (Advanced show & tell)  It's a nice culminating event.

I wish you tons of success!  DeLene

Fri, 01/10/2020 - 3:21 PM Permalink
Picture
Full Name

Hey there math teachers,

I teach 5th grade math and I was curious if you have any good ideas for embedding DEI (diversity equity and inclusion), in your curriculum. We don't have a statistics unit and I hear that's how most people accomplish this. Any ideas?

Tue, 03/26/2019 - 4:32 PM Permalink
Log in or Join to post comments