Theme of the month

Theme of the Month

Join us each month as we focus on a topic of interest to STEM Teacher Leaders with a webinar panel, open discussion, resources and blog post. 

Discussion: Teacher Leaders Improving STEM Teaching and Learning

Join panelists Jose Rivas, Jerod Morehouse, Kirstin Milks, and Gloria Gajewicz in this facilitated conversation to discuss different ways Teacher Leaders are improving STEM Teaching and Learning!   (This discussion is now closed.)

Comments

Picture
Profile picture for user kkennedy
Full Name
Katheryn Kennedy

supporting teacher growth in literacy

I am drawn to the work Jose is implementing within his department. How did you frame the initial literacy training for your department? And what recommendations do you have for a team who wants to try something similar?

Thu, 01/12/2023 - 1:38 PM
Picture
Profile picture for user jrivas
Full Name
Jose Rivas

Implementation

Hi Kathryn,

Thank you for your questions.  The process took us about 9 months to develop and begin with understanding our states EL Roadmap and then looking at EL Literacy standards.  It was a process since we never really looked at these as stem teachers.  We then connected we knew about NGSS and UDL to come up with strategies that would support all our students and most importantly our EL.  I was receiving support of the Emergent Bilingual Change Agent Network in terms of creating instructional moves for teachers to support them and key literacy research for implementation.  It is a work in progress and if you have a chance, I have the framework linked to the video in the showcase if you are interested in reviewing it.

Mon, 01/16/2023 - 11:40 PM
Picture
Profile picture for user kmilks
Full Name
Kirstin Milks

Reflective STEM teaching: resources

Hi, everyone! Gloria and I had a wonderful time in our conversation yesterday. I’m posting today to share some resources and would love to learn from you all about your teaching as well :)

- Gloria spoke passionately about her journey to leveraging modeling instruction! Find out more about modeling instruction at the website of the American Modeling Teachers Association: https://www.modelinginstruction.org/sample-page/synopsis-of-modeling-instruction/

- I mentioned a book that did a great deal in helping me become a teacher who could lead class discussions after modeling experiences and other group-worthy tasks. Find the books on “5 Practices” at the NSTA & NCTM stores! https://www.nctm.org/Store/Products/5-Practices-for-Orchestrating-Task-Based-Discussions-in-Science/

- From my story: there are lots of great simulations out there that allow students to take climate learning into their own hands. Check out the website of my friend, Jon Darkow, who creates and posts marvelous simulations for biology environmental science. I also showed the PhET greenhouse effect simulation and the En-ROADS global climate simulator.

We’re looking forward to hearing more about your classrooms, your practice, and your questions!

:) Kirstin 

Thu, 01/19/2023 - 11:19 AM